Strong EF detected when running from USB charger
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Speeder

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2024 :  14:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have experienced extreme levels of EF fields (800-1000) when charging the device from a USB charger. At first I got alarmed because I thought it was the geographic location that had the fields, but the disappeared if I disconnected the charger.

Has anybody has similar experience? If I charge from a powerbank this phenomenon doesn't occur.

Is this explainable in any way? I have a theory that I actually gave the field in the power cables a path directly into the circuit, like an antenna which was interpreted by the device as an external field.
Is there anybody qualified (which I am not!) to explain to me what just happened?

Thanks in advance!
Reply #1

Damien68

France
780 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2024 :  08:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you connect the device to a power supply, what happens is that you place the ground plane of the device at an electrical potential which is that of the power supply ground. The ground plane of the device will therefore generate an additional electrostatic field with its environment which you will see appear on the measurement taken.
You can effectively model this by an antenna effect, it's not very far. But it's not the device that no longer works, it's the electrostatic field near the device that changes.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Speeder

Sweden
4 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2024 :  12:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's probably the potential that becomes different. It's annoying though, because it's practical to be able to use a charger, but the powerbank solved it also.'
Thanks for your reply!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000