New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

staze

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2023 :  16:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey All,

I've had a GMC-500 for several years now, and it tends to work quite well, but I've noticed over the years it's wifi connectivity is pretty poor. Frequent disconnects, low connection speed, etc.

I believe it's version 1.25 (according to "About"). It's got 2 APs that are maybe 20-30 feet (via a wall or two) away. I noticed on this thread https://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5461&SearchTerms=wifi,antenna there's talk about a hole in the PCB behind the ESP wifi antenna. So I kind of assume this is a known issue? is there any kind of workaround?

Thanks!
Reply #1

ullix

Germany
1115 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2023 :  02:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My suggestion: connect it to a Raspberry Pi computer. I just posted on this in this topic: http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10352
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ihab17

Italy
213 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2023 :  04:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your firmware version seems outdated and the issue might be solved with the latest firmware update. You should email the support with your serial number to generate a firmware for your device
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

staze

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2023 :  18:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Request sent for new firmware. Though I believe in the past I’ve been told firmware updates don’t update the WiFi module firmware.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

staze

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2023 :  18:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for link to raspi option. Will have to consider that if I can’t get this working more reliably.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ullix

Germany
1115 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2023 :  02:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
... firmware updates don’t update the WiFi module firmware.

Indeed, they won't. The WiFi capability is introduced by an ESP8266 chip, which is pre-programmed for WiFi, likely having an imprint of ESP-12S on the silvery chip. The GMC firmware talks to it like to a modem in decade-old commands like '<AT+RST>>'. Those commands won't change in new GMC firmware!

However, it cannot be ruled out that the firmware on the ESP8266 does change over time. But this will only be seen in newly purchased devices.

In theory the firmware on the ESP8266 can also be modified, but this is not trivial, AND there have to be provisions on the circuit board of the GMC counter, which I think do not exist.

Look at the antenna of the ESP-12S, which is the wiggly copper path next to the silvery case. Does it look ok? Not much you can do.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000