2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Random ridiculous average CPM readings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

heavyduty

8 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  10:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My GMC-320 Plus chugs along showing an average CPM of around 15 most of the time. However, it has twice (that I've seen) shown completely off the rails readings. On morning it was showing around 840 CPM, and after being turned off and back on it resumed accumulating an avg of around 15 again. Today it was showing 15.43 when I glanced at it. The next time I looked, the avg was 4. That number jumped up to 653.38 in a few seconds even as the real CPM was showing 13, and slowly worked its was down to a current avg of 547. Any thoughts on what's up with this thing? I have no confidence in any of the readings at this point.
Reply #1

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  00:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you check for light sensitivity?
http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4540
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

heavyduty

8 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2017 :  08:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ullix

Did you check for light sensitivity?
http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4540

This unit is used in a room with heavy curtains and solar screens exclusively. It never moves from the top of my desk. The readings chug along with typical CPM of 15-20 and avg CPM of around 15 for weeks at a time. Then, suddenly, it puts out these ridiculous high average values while still showing CPM in the same 15-20 range.

Also, if I turn it off and then on again it gets stuck in a reboot loop for some length of time.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ChrisLX200

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  00:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've also seen a similar random spike with my 300+. I just happened to be watching the readout on screen when it shot up to some silly high reading. I don't normally sit there watching it (!) so I have no idea how frequently this happens, but I do log to disk so it may be worth looking through the data at some point.

GMC-300E-plus
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  09:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heavyduty, it seems some configuration data may be corrupted. Try to do a factory reset from the unit menu. If the problem persist, then you may need to check it by GQ, the unit should under warranty.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ChrisLX200

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2017 :  03:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZLM

heavyduty, it seems some configuration data may be corrupted. Try to do a factory reset from the unit menu. If the problem persist, then you may need to check it by GQ, the unit should under warranty.

Spotted another spike... As noted, I don't watch the output so no knowing how often this happens - but it looks like this:

Image Insert:

148765 bytes

GMC-300E-plus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000