Geiger counters in airplanes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EndreasAndu651

Estonia
6 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2022 :  03:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a stupid question but are geiger counters safe on airplanes? I'm asking because i heard that geiger mullers might rupture due to the pressure diffrence, but i am not sure so i decided to ask here.
Reply #1

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2022 :  10:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far we never encountered tubes rupturing/breaking due to air pressure when transporting. We usually ship international shipping via air.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2022 :  02:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is highly unlikely that a Geiger-Müller tube - be it made from glass or metal - will rupture at high altitude. Air planes at cruising altitude may have a slightly lower pressure than at ground level, but since the Geiger tubes tend to have lower pressure inside, the force on them would actually be greater at ground level!

The situation is different when using an Alpha-Particle sensitive detector, because they have a very thin membrane as window to allow Alpha to penetrate. But it probably would need a severe and quick pressure change - such as when oxygen masks fall out of the airplane headroom - to break the membrane. But even then chances are good that the membrane lasts.

Here is an amazing video of someone torturing such a membrane; finally succeeding in breaking it, but it sure takes some effort:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqmi3H0sXWY

Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

the_mike

Switzerland
52 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2022 :  15:37:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've carried both my GMC320+ and GMC500 on an airtrip - nothing happened to them...
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

GBG12

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2022 :  19:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's best to carry Alpha capable tubes with carry-on luggage, in case the checked baggage compartment is not pressurized.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2023 :  01:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
By connecting a counter to a computer that is running GeigerLog and performing the updating of the Radiation World map from within GeigerLog, it is possible to circumvent the problems that have been described.
Looks like you are in the wrong topic; this is about Geigers in air planes.

And please, be precise: what problems have been described by whom and where?

Edited by - ullix on 01/04/2023 01:19:47
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

mimichris

France
18 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2023 :  01:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In fact, in a normal airliner, the real altitude in the cabin is around 2000m, therefore at the corresponding atmospheric pressure. A GMC-500 fears nothing, you can go to the mountains without problem.

Maxime
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000