Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 [GMC 600+] Expected lifespan of LND 7317?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bc10

8 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2019 :  14:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the expected lifespan of the LND 7317 sensor found in the GMC 600+?

Likely a function of it's history of use. Lets say continuous use under normal background radiation.
Reply #1

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  09:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi bc10, I don't have the answer right now and our engineers are out of town. You can email support@gqelectronicsllc.com for this question. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Stargazer 40

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2019 :  05:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked the LND specs and nothing about life expectancy. Most GM tubes seem to use a number for total counts that can be expected before the tube breaks down. I called LND but they are away on vacation. I have found them less than helpful to requests for information. Hopefully as a customer GQ's engineers can get more out of them. I would suggest that it will long outlast your interest in using it. I am hammering my 600+ while evaluating its performance and I have no worries that it will die anytime soon. With mica windowed GM tubes you do have to watch altitude changes that can possibly rupture the window. But even that appears to be overblown.

Stargazer 40
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

Searinox

Romania
48 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  00:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I cannot answer your question with accuracy, it should be noted that tubes typically have lifespans listed in how many counts they can register, and that those counts are usually within the billions or tens of billions of counts.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

cypher

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2020 :  10:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone know the answer to this question since I have a 600+. I run mine 24-7 on gmcmaps.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  01:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not think that the theoretical life of the tube is critical especially if the tube is exposed only from the background.
The cheap GM tubes have a capital of 10 ** 9 detections. therefore with an average of 50 CPM we get a tube life of 38 years.

Image Insert:

31235 bytes

I think LND-7317 should take a lot more than 10 ** 9 detections.

the weak point is more the membrane which must be avoided to stress.

so avoid too frequent or too violent temperature variations,
avoid mechanical vibrations (shocks ...),
avoid acoustic type vibrations (sub woofer ...)

avoid pressure variations (like slamming the door with a small or airtight room...)

Note: the gas in the tube has a pressure of approximately 0.1 bar, this corresponds to normal atmospheric pressure at an altitude of approximately 15000 m, therefore the meter can travel by plane especially in the cabin. but each time the menbrane is still under a little stress due to pressure variations.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple

Edited by - Damien68 on 05/09/2020 13:58:08
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

blargg

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2020 :  19:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also unlike some counters the tube is off when the units is off so I don't think it's wearing it out when you're not using it. Radiation ionizes gas, which in electric field causes more ionization to form a cascade into a pulse that's detectable. No electric field so no cascade effect of lots of ionization.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2020 :  04:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you are right, if the tube is not supplied with high voltage, it will not wear out. besides, on ebay we find some russian tubes which were made in the 80s and which are considered as new

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple

Edited by - Damien68 on 10/30/2020 04:37:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000