GMC-300E Plus?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

benmfowler

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  12:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I have a sudden interest to make some of my gadgets and devices "internet enabled" so I have ordered some ESP8226 boards from china to start off with.

My Geiger counter GMC300E+V4 was first on my lists to wifi up, so whilst waiting I fiddled about with it over USB, got acquainted with the RFC. When I got the Gieger counter I did notice a female 8-pin header on the top right near the battery so I was hopefully going to put that to use and come out the side, because I want to replace the battery too with a 28650 instead of the 14500 already in, so when I get the ESP8266 it will all be housed in the back and I don't have to mess up the original housing in any way.

Here's the first snag, I can't find anything about this 8-pin female header, what it even is, it says M1 printed on the circuit board but I can't imagine what it would have to do with a motor.

My second snag, the circuit board actually has GMC320plus V5.2.1 2016.09.28 do I actually have the GMC300plus as the firmware indicates and its just a misprint, or is it actually a 320plus with the wrong firmware? Looking at a few videos online (from 2014ish) the board seems very different and takes a nine volt battery and the board is blue rather than red like mine is. The newer videos that seem to be similar with a red board and the rechargeable battery don't have the 8-pin female header and the battery has a different housing. Can I be sure what version it is.

I'll upload a picture below, the female header is on the top right next to the battery.

Image Insert:

243379 bytes

BMFowler
Reply #1

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  13:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi benmfowler, that female socket is for WiFi module 8266 but it's not just the module, it also includes some components.
Some boards have different colors but the components are the same. The hardware version has nothing to do with the firmware.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

benmfowler

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  13:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I can simply connect the 8266 without worry? What do you mean not just the module?

So if my hardware is actually the 320 version, I can flash the 320 firmware? Or am I missing something?

BMFowler
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  13:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our engineer said it might be missing some components for the WiFi and others. And you have to ask support for a firmware, I think you need to pay for a 320+V5 firmware. I'm just not sure as I don't handle those.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

benmfowler

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  14:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Googling around, it looks exactly the same as the 320 hardware. Does your engineer have a way of knowing for sure before I look into getting the 320 firmware?

BMFowler
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  14:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We'll check if it has all the components needed for an upgrade. The 320+ firmware doesn't have WiFi, so you need a 320+V5 firmware. And if you pay for it, you might also get a module from us. Again, I'm not sure about how it works so better email support.

Anyway I'll will give you an answer tomorrow or next day if this hardware version is ok for 320 firmware.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

benmfowler

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  14:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for your help, if it is compatible that saves me a lot of time. It does say 300E Plus on the front, but I purchased it through amazon so idk.

If it isn't, out of curiosity, J2, the four pins at the top center. G R T V, are these ground, rx, tx and voltage if I wanted to connect that way or is that somethinv else?

BMFowler
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  09:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is OK to upgrade your unit. Contact customer support on how to.

The G R T V is supposed to be for external serial port but isn't used/implemented.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

benmfowler

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  13:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thank you very much, contacting customer support as we speak.

By isn't used or isn't implemented, do you mean nothing is sent to those or I'd have to solder wires myself to use it.

BMFowler
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2019 :  15:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is implemented but only as parallel to the comport.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.09 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000