Question about SBT tube endurance on GMC-600
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Searinox

Romania
48 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  06:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I'm considering purchasing a GMC-600 geiger counter for alpha detection. The intention is for hobby use so I'd expect some searching in the mountains or altitude radiation checks during airplane flights.

I've heard that alpha geiger tubes which use a mica window for radiation penetration are especially fragile and prone to rupture from even pressure difference in an airplane or higher altitudes when hiking.

Would you consider a GMC-600 with an SBT-11 tube appropriate for the task? Also is there a way to differentiate before purchase between products using the 11A variation of the tube? I hear it's even more fragile, even if it has better sensitivity.

Thank you.
Reply #1

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2019 :  11:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know some people use it in airplanes and get some working and we also ship International occasionally so I don't see any problem with the tube in high altitudes.

We are using the SBT-11 if I'm not mistaken. The tube has the name/version on it.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

baggio9102

1 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2019 :  07:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello I also want to buy a GQ GMC-600 or 600 plus. I will buy at Amazon and let shipment agent company to ship it to China. Should I let them to make a very solid package for me?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2019 :  09:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi baggio9102, it's up to you if you want a more solid package but it's not necessary.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

GBG12

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2019 :  17:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mica window tubes are not inherently fragile, only the mica window is. I have a 26 year old LND-712 counter that still works, even though I touched the window during assembly. It's been on several flights.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

Searinox

Romania
48 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  12:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the reassurances. My device arrived and I opened it. It has the SBT-11A variant of the tube inside. I also have a GMC-320 and I've resolved to carry that one on trips or for on-site searches while keeping the GMC-600 at home for more thorough investigations.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000