2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 GMC 320 plus problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gordy

6 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2014 :  19:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just got this a few weeks back and seems to work fine. Except for can not download from the unit to computer. It starts to download gets to 2% and then kicks back and forth 1%-2%. once in a while I get the old blue screen of death. (haven't seen that in years)

Any Ideas on how to fix this?

Is there a place to get updated drivers for this?
I have looked around the board and found one set of older drivers that never helped.

It works fine in live mode.

thanks

Reply #1

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  10:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like there is a communication driver related problem.

Try to turn off and turn on the unit again and then restart the software to download,

If you found the prograsss bar stopped somewhere for long time, then you can disconnect the unit before the blue screen.

If you are unable to download the data, your unit data may be corruptd, in this case you can do a factory reset from unit.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

gordy

6 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2014 :  18:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a factory reset already and same problem,
I let windows do a search online for an updated driver and it seems to kinda hold its own.
I did a download load last night and it only reached 6% and ended, how ever when I open the file it looks like all the info is there.

so I guess it is working with the update windows did.
hope that is it any ways
thanks for the reply

Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2014 :  22:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Windows software only download the vailid data from the flash chip. Your 6% means the flash only used 6% and rest of flash chip is empty. So the software stopped the downloading after 6%.

If you want to download 100% flash chip regardless data or not, then you need to set the this feature from the software menu under Options.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

gordy

6 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  18:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok I will look at that
thanks
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

madmikeg

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2014 :  19:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a very similar issue recently with my GMC 320+. I run the Windows software under Wine and thought maybe it was an issue with Wine or the serial port driver. I even tried different USB cables. Everything other than downloading the history data would work perfectly every time. I tried using a python script to download the history data and it would get about 16 bytes into the third data block and freeze every time while the Windows software would get up to 2% then go back to 0% and retry. Factory reset and clearing the saved data had no effect. Last night I cleared saved data, did a factory reset yet again then turned off the unit and removed the battery for about 10 minutes.

That seems to have resolved the issue, I turned the unit on after replacing the battery and let it log background radiation overnight and was able to download the saved data without issue this afternoon (19 hr worth of data recorded every second).
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

gordy

6 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2014 :  18:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya I have done all of that factory reset and cleared the history.
clearing the history the other night seemed to help that night.

But another problem I found is that default on the unit is 115000 baud transfer speed, so I made sure that the computer was set to that which it wasn't. But I noticed in the GMC data viewer it always reverts back to 56000 baud rate after it is started. so I make sure that it is set to 115000 baud rate everytime it connects to the unit.

kinda a pain in the butt not very user friendly to say the least.

it works but always have to check settings and hope it downloads

the other night when I had to clear the history it recorded all day and had no info for that day but had many days previous to that day.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

madmikeg

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2014 :  16:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madmikeg

I had a very similar issue recently with my GMC 320+. I run the Windows software under Wine and thought maybe it was an issue with Wine or the serial port driver. I even tried different USB cables. Everything other than downloading the history data would work perfectly every time. I tried using a python script to download the history data and it would get about 16 bytes into the third data block and freeze every time while the Windows software would get up to 2% then go back to 0% and retry. Factory reset and clearing the saved data had no effect. Last night I cleared saved data, did a factory reset yet again then turned off the unit and removed the battery for about 10 minutes.

That seems to have resolved the issue, I turned the unit on after replacing the battery and let it log background radiation overnight and was able to download the saved data without issue this afternoon (19 hr worth of data recorded every second).

I seemed to have hit this issue again, was able to recover it doing the same thing. Is it possible that when the log data fills up the memory something is getting corrupted? I left it on for probably a couple of weeks logging background radiation when it happened again. The last round of data I downloaded worked out to be about 512KB in the .csv file (about 4 days of data I think). I tried downloading maybe a week later and it failed to download anything so I'm pretty sure the internal storage filled up. The .bin files are always 1MB each so I assume they are padded.

I still have the data files if they will help.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  00:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edit: Why did this 8 year old stuff show up as new? completely irrelevant

@madmikeg: Did you try to download using my GeigerLog? (https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/)

I am interested in the data files. One each of what you consider Good, Bad, Ugly.

If you have no better way of providing the data, you can do it as an attachment to a post on the Discussion side of GeigerLog: https://sourceforge.net/p/geigerlog/discussion/

Edited by - ullix on 11/01/2022 01:38:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000