New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lokalist

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2023 :  09:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there
I had done a firmware update from V2.41 to V2.50 on my GMC 600+.
First it was on Spain language. That was very hard for me to change the language. But it's run now.
Could it be that in V2.50 it is not possible to deactivate the speaker?
The changes of LED reactes as wished. But the characteristic klickediklick sound of a Geiger Counter is always there. No noice mode.
Reboot, Factory Reset or disable speaker in Data Viewer (read/write) are the same result.
Is it normal to have 73 CPM and 0,209 µSv/h in relation to each other? The most settings are factory values. Also the calculation values.
Thanks and have a nice day without Geigera
Reply #1

ullix

Germany
1115 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2023 :  01:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The usual steps are Factory Reset, and taking the battery out for a minute. If then the sound still cannot be switched off I suspect a hardware defect; then repair/replacement is needed.

CPM=73 and 0.209 uSv/h implies the tube sensitivity is 73 / 0.209=349.3 CPM/(uSv/h). This is almost exactly what the tube manufacturer specifies (=348) https://www.lndinc.com/products/geiger-mueller-tubes/7317/ So, this is ok.

However, the count rate of CPM=73 seems to be a bit on the high side. Is this peak or average? Where in Germany are you located?

Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

EmfDev

2157 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2023 :  15:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be a bug. Can you please email support and check if there is a new firmware update?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

Lokalist

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2023 :  04:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have send the support an email.
Thanks for answers at everybody.

@ullix: The data before was a random reading of the actual display value.
I have yesterday measured following CPM values:
Outside: average 48, max 62
Inside the house (not cellar): average 48, max 180 CPM
But inside the house I see sometimes very short maximum peaks of 300 CPM with alert sound...
I have a collection of metall elements. Inclusive bismut (in plastic box). But that is not the source. At a walk through the house I don't see a exact place with these special peaks. These can be anywhere.
I'm in the South of Bavaria. Near the city Rosenheim.
The Counters in my near at the Radiation World Map are with the uSv/h values in similar ranges with my outside values :-)

Edited by - Lokalist on 11/18/2023 04:15:38
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

Lokalist

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2023 :  04:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New findings: The fired floor tiles and kitchen tiles out of granite are sources. Normal ;-)
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ihab17

Italy
213 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2023 :  05:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EmfDev

It may be a bug. Can you please email support and check if there is a new firmware update?

I flashed the 2.51 Firmware and I have no audio/buzzer issues.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

UnstableIsotope

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2023 :  10:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem with my new 500+. If I disable the "speaker" in the menu, the speaker icon is disabled, but the clicking continues. There doesn't seem to be any way to enter a nice quiet Geiger counter mode which is annoying.

I assume this is a firmware bug.

Is firmware 2.51 the solution for the 500+ as well?

I can't seem to find the firmware downloads on the GQ site.

Edited by - UnstableIsotope on 12/05/2023 10:30:49
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

EmfDev

2157 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2023 :  10:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi UnstableIsotope, please send me or to support your device's serial number to check for firmware updates.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

UnstableIsotope

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2023 :  15:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I emailed you earlier. Let me know if you didn't get that.

I am looking forward to a new firmware so I can get my 500+ to SHUT UP!

Edited by - UnstableIsotope on 12/05/2023 15:35:23
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

UnstableIsotope

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2023 :  19:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This appears to be fixed in 2.52.

I can finally run my 500+ in quiet mode!
WOOHOO!

Thanks for the software fix GQ!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

gkCyclone

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2023 :  11:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a similar issue with my new 600+.

If I leave the speaker setting to "ON", it clicks (for each "detect" event as expected), but it also has a very faint high pitched whine sound.

Now for the real problem.....
If I turn the speaker setting to "OFF", I don't hear the clicks, but the "whine" noise is considerably louder, very audible in a quiet room (like a bedroom).

Firmware version is 2.52.
Not sure if this is a hardware or firmware issue. I still have time to return the unit to Amazon, which I will do if I cannot get it resolved quickly.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

UnstableIsotope

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2023 :  15:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the 500+ and the 600+ use the same main board (I believe), your audio should be similar to my 500+. Mine has a VERY faint whine at 7500Hz with the Speaker OFF or ON. The volume of the whine is the same in Speaker ON or OFF and with the backlight on or off. Try yours with the backlight OFF.

Unless yours is MUCH louder than mine or you have extraordinary ears, you shouldn't be hearing that whine unless your ear is practically against the unit. I never noticed it until your post made me give it a very close listen.

UPDATE:
I assume the whine is from the voltage multiplier circuit and that may being driven differently in the 600+ with the pancake tube. It would be good to hear about this whine from other 600+ users. Probably worth posting a new topic about this.

Edited by - UnstableIsotope on 12/19/2023 15:43:32
Go to Top of Page
Reply #12

gkCyclone

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2023 :  17:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sound is unaffected by the backlight being on or off.

The sound peak is exactly 2500 Hz (measured)- with observable harmonics at 5000 Hz and 1250 Hz. Its loud enough to be able to clearly pick up with my cell phone microphone when placed near the unit in a room with computer fans, etc.

The ironic thing is that the sound is about 30 db louder when the speaker setting is set to "OFF". It is very faint when the speaker setting is set to "ON"

Unfortunately, I can hear it across the room in a quiet room. In a room with computer fans, etc. I can hear it easily from 2 feet away over the other noise.

I also have a 500+, and hear exactly ZERO whine from that unit regardless of the settings or backlight. My 500+ has Firmware rev 2.49 and the 600+ has firmware version 2.52.

Go to Top of Page
Reply #13

UnstableIsotope

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2023 :  07:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should get 2.52 for your 500+ as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.09 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000