USB-MQTT bridge for GMC-500+
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MJ

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2022 :  04:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the USB-MQTT bridge, the Geiger Counter GMC-500+ can be easily integrated into home automation systems.
Software and installation instructions are available at:
https://github.com/klumw/gqmqtt
Reply #1

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2022 :  04:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Learning GO for that little thing? No, thank you.

Why don't you use Python? This seems to be no more than 300 lines of code. MQTT coding exists in GeigerLog for the RadMon counter.

Using Raspi for "nearby" via WIFI is implemented via GeigerLog's WiFiServer module. MQTT might indeed extend the range significantly.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

pedro

Czech Republic
3 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2022 :  10:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, it's interesting. It's for GMC-500 only? I've GMC320, it probably will not work.

I agree @ullix ` it's pitty you used Go instead of Python. Geigerlog is written in Python and lot of "IoT" related software is written in Pytho too, for example Home Assistant.

Recently I connected my WS-1080 weatherstation to Home assistant using PyWWS MQTT module, https://pywws.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api/pywws.service.mqtt.html . It works very well, used to control heating.

Here is real example (I don't have wind and rain sensor connected):
{"idx": "2022-12-27 18:15:30", "wind_ave_mps": "0.00", "wind_ave_mph": "0.00", "wind_gust_mps": "0.00", "wind_gust_mph": "0.00", "wind_chill_c": "4.8", "wind_chill_f": "40.6", "dew_point_c": "1.8", "dew_point_f": "35.3", "hum_out": "81", "hum_in": "34", "temp_in_c": "23.0","temp_in_f": "73.4", "temp_out_c": "4.8", "temp_out_f": "40.6", "temp_out_realfeel_c": "3.1", "temp_out_realfeel_f": "37.6", "pressure_rel_hpa": "1026.9", "pressure_rel_inhg": "30.3243", "pressure_abs_hpa": "987.8", "pressure_abs_inhg": "29.1697", "rain_mm": "0.0", "rain_in": "0.00", "rain_last_hour_mm": "0.0", "rain_last_hour_in": "0.00", "rain_last_24hours_mm": "0.0", "rain_last_24hours_in": "0.00", "rain_day_mm": "0.0", "rain_day_in": "0.00"}

It's easy to create sensors in Home Assistant and use those sensor for any purposes.

Back to Geigerlog. There is SQL module which stores data to SQLite. I think it's possible to create similar module which instead of inserting data to SQLite tables will call paho-mqtt and publish data on MQTT topic. Just idea (feature request) ;), sorry, I can't do it.

And a question - is possible to run Geigerlog without GUI? (in backgroud as daemon)? It's important for unattended operation.

Or - instead of MQTT, we can continuously monitor SQLite DB and read current state from here.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

pedro

Czech Republic
3 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2022 :  11:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Running without GUI solved:

QT_QPA_PLATFORM=offscreen ./geigerlog -l testlog start
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2022 :  02:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@pedro: interesting idea! but I am wondering about possible side effects forcing these embedding options. If you experiment further, I am interested in hearing about it, perhaps in the discussion forum of GeigerLog ( https://sourceforge.net/p/geigerlog/discussion/general/ )

Currently the Home-Assistant weather-station use is already available for GeigerLog users by taking advantage of GeigerLog's "Widgets for remote monitoring", see manual chapter "Web Enablement – Remote Monitoring".

Using IoT (Internet of Things) with the MQTT protocol is an attractive option for more types of remote sensing. GeigerLog uses that already for the "RadMon Geiger Counter", see manual.

This is greatly extended in the next GeigerLog: First incarnation is a Raspberry Pi as a satellite to GeigerLog, communicating with it via MQTT.

GeigerLog will use a new, explicit IoT device, which can be used not only with a Raspi, but with any external device which sends a very simple set of data via MQTT.

Specifically, I will also be offering open source code to run on a headless Raspberry Pi. The Raspi will run with all GMC counters as well as with I2C sensors. I2C code for some Temp, Pressure, Humidity, Light, UV, CO2 sensors is provided.

Coding the Raspi is rather straight forward even for Python novices, using the provided templates. I believe this has great prospect and much extends the GeigerLog possibilities.

And it is rather fast. Amazingly, sending data from Germany to California and back is oftentimes faster than collecting them from USB cable at a GMC counter ;-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000