Holding meter in my hand and static electricity
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nims

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2022 :  07:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like others have mentioned, the readings for EF are much higher when I am holding the 390 meter. As I understand, this can be due to static electricity coming from my body.

What I do not understand is how to interpret these higher readings. Are they indicative of a possible problem in my environment? Do high levels of static electricity correlate to higher levels of EF in my home? Or are higher levels of static electricity relatively harmless and not a concern?

In order to accurately measure EF fields coming from wiring and devices in my home, do I need to make the measurements without touching the 390 meter? Again, the readings drop dramatically when I set the meter down and remove my hand.

What is the best approach for accurately testing for electric fields in my environment?
Reply #1

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2022 :  08:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
normally, in any case the EMF will measure the present and real static field, what happens is that it is your hand and in fact your whole body that will modify the static field.
what you need to know is that your body is a conductor of electricity, the electric field inside your body is therefore zero.

Below is a reference example, in this reference example there is a field between the floor and the ceiling of a room, a potential difference of 400v for a ceiling at 3m.

without your body, the field is therefore 400v/3m = 133v/m

now if you hold the EMF in your hand at 2 m from the ground, you will always have a potential difference of 400v but this time with a distance of only 1 m which will modify the field and we will then obtain a field of 400v / 1m = 400v/m.

it's just the simplified representation of an effect, in reality, it would be necessary to take into account the laws of diffusion and to integrate them in space, but roughly speaking, the measurement of the field changes because the field magnitude changes itself by the presence of your body.

another effect could come from if you yourself carry electrical charges.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple

Edited by - Damien68 on 04/26/2022 08:59:12
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Nims

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2022 :  18:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the explanation of the reason for the higher readings. I also still want to know how to approach this when taking readings. As I said:

In order to accurately measure EF fields coming from wiring and devices in my home, do I need to make the measurements without touching the 390 meter? Again, the readings drop dramatically when I set the meter down and remove my hand.

What is the best approach for accurately testing for electric fields in my environment?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2022 :  09:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nims, if there is low EMF reading around it, it is mostly static EF. and Static EF is present almost in anything. If you measure the EF with just the device, you can use a stick or just lay it down and not touch it. But if you compare it with your body's exposure to EF in the same area, it would be different.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000