GMC-500+ second tube problem?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eminem2Pac1984

Italy
4 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  11:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello dudes I'm new to the forum and I'm from Italy.
I don't know but probably I have a problem with the Geiger GMC-500+ when I switch the tubes.
I tested it into normal enviroments and i have 0.25 uSv and less than 50 CPM reads with the tube 1(more sensitive) while if i manual switch to the tube 2 i have a steady 0 CPM and 0 uSv and sometimes(rarely) it shows 1 CPM and 0.47 uSv in the same natural enviroment of the previous test with the more sensitive tube 1, do you think the tube 2 is broken? or it is too much "fat"(well capacity) to catch low emitting natural sources like the tube 1 does? Please help me cause I will return it if it is not a normal behaviour!
Reply #1

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  11:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can be reassured it is perfectly normal.
tube 2 is used to measure the rate of radiation when it becomes too strong for tube 1. that is why it is there and that is also why it is much much less sensitive.

your tube 1 vs tube 2 detections are quite consistent, it is only for very high levels with tube 1 in saturation that tube 2 can be useful.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Eminem2Pac1984

Italy
4 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  11:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh thank you thousands fr the reply! But I would like to understand why it measures wrong uSv compared to the "small" tube 1. For the test I go into the choosing tube menu and I alternate tube 1 and tube 2 in different tests. Thank you again for the support!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  12:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the creation of a radioactive radiation is purely random, and therefore a radiation detection is random.
tube 1 is bigger and has a larger effective physical detection volume than tube 2. therefore it intercepts more particles on average.

statistically speaking, when we have a random phenomenon, the precision of the calculation of the mean depends directly on the quantity of observation. in the case of weak radiation (~ 0.2-0.3 uSv / h) the detections made by tube 2 are very rare so in fact we have very few observations and therefore we cannot calculate an average in a suitable way.

in the case of high radiation on the other hand at this moment the CPS level of the tube 2 will then rise sharply and at this moment it will be able to provide information allowing a precise calculation of the average of the radiation.

the two tubes complement each other.

PS: it's because after around 300-1000 uS/h tube 1 may saturate and become less precise, at this level and over tube 2 will be better.

Edited by - Damien68 on 11/13/2021 01:59:27
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

Eminem2Pac1984

Italy
4 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  13:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again for the explained behaviour so basically it is working properly. Unfortunately i don't have any kind of gamma emitter so I cannot test the second tube :(
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  02:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a source either, I only have a box of diet salt. it's safe

Edited by - Damien68 on 11/13/2021 02:06:01
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

Eminem2Pac1984

Italy
4 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2021 :  07:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hahaha you are the top! thank you again dude!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2021 :  00:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Eminem the sensitivity of the all the tubes, in particular the 2nd tube in the 500+ had been lengthily discussed in this forum.

You'll find some good reading in these two topics:
http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5369
http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5148

You can do some experimenting of your own by using Potassium salts, which are available as household items. For an intro read my "Potty Training":
https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/Articles/GeigerLog-Potty%20Training%20for%20Your%20Geiger%20Counter-v1.0.pdf/download

and when you are so inclined, "Go Banana" too:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/Articles/GeigerLog-Going%20Banana-v1.0.pdf/download

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000