something interesting.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FBSMatt

Ireland
32 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2021 :  13:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So recently out of curiosity, I put my 600+ to my ear with the speaker off, to see if could hear some electrical buzzing or whining (I'm weird like that). I did the the electrical noise but I also heard tiny clicks from it that correspond with the LED(I can also hear it with the LED off). Am I hearing the reaction inside the tube?! or is it something else in the circuit? This has amused me all day.

What Signature?
Reply #1

Damien68

France
780 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2021 :  22:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
many electronic devices make a little noise, this comes mainly from ceramic capacitors because they have a piezoelectric effect, ie they contract a little depending on the voltage applied above.

it is possible that the click comes from the tube because there is an electric arc which forms in the tube when it detects a particle, the heat produced can thus generate an acoustic signal but very weak, it can also come from 500v generator capacitors output if it ceramic one.

during a detection, the sudden variation in potential between the anode and the cathode of the tube will also modify the mechanical forces of electrical atraction in the tube between the anode (charged +) and the cathode (charged -) which in case of pancake tube like in 600+ can also generate an acoustic signal . but I don't know if it can be audible.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple

Edited by - Damien68 on 08/15/2021 01:56:23
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

EmfDev

2148 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2021 :  09:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is also possible that the speaker is not completely off and the transistor/switch is still letting a very small amount of current.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

mojo66

Germany
32 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2021 :  17:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup. Try with the speaker physically disconnected. If you still hear a click then it could be a cap. The energy that a gamma induces in the Geiger tube is too low to produce an audible signal.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

BlueReda

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2021 :  02:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mojo66

Yup. Try with the speaker physically disconnected. If you still hear a click then it could be a cap. The energy that a gamma induces in the Geiger tube is too low to produce an audible signal. https://mcdvoice.me/

It is possible that the click comes from the tube because there is an electric arc which forms in the tube when it detects a particle, the heat produced can thus generate an acoustic signal but very weak, it can also come from 500v generator capacitors output if it ceramic one.

Edited by - BlueReda on 10/11/2021 02:10:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000