GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 1.Geiger Counter World Map(www.GMCmap.com)
 gmc-500+ not reading
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rlevans

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2021 :  11:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at a uranium mine last week; I got some readings while walking around. However, when I had a substantial piece of carnotite, my gmc did not register anything while another persons "geiger" counter went wild. Is this a GMC problem or should i not expect it to react to such a hot specimen? perplexed.
Reply #1

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2021 :  12:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi rlevans, what readings are you getting when you walk around and what is this persons geiger counter? What did you mean it did not register anything? Did it go higher than background reading?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

rlevans

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2021 :  15:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
walking near the the talus piles it read as high as 8; its where I found a piece of loose material with several layers of andsersonite/ carnicite and got no reading , 0 reading when held my GQ in close proximity... a asked the guy with the still unknown geiger counter to read it and got a strong loud continuous beep and no, I asked, but I don't know the make and model of the other unit.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2021 :  16:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi rlevans, by saying 0 did you mean 0 CPM? If that is the case, there seems to be something wrong with the device and it should not ever read 0 CPM.

Have you tried to factory reset? depending on your area the device should read around 10-30 CPM with just background radiation. Please check whether the device tube 1 is turned off.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

rlevans

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  10:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went into the tube settings and did not really see an on/off option. I did look at the tube voltages? they were at 22%; I upped then to mid 30's...? just not sure what is right, As far as the factory reset, I tried and perhaps did it, but there is no indication from the machine that anything happened...?!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

rlevans

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  10:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, the ambient in house cpm is 16; when I went out to the piece I started with and let it sit along side of it, it went to 320 CPM; so perhaps now its working either from the factory reset or the tube voltage increase. which do you think? and now, for a really novice question, what should I do with the 320 cpm piece and sevarl like it? what is my health risk?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

EmfDev

2131 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  10:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you go to factory reset, you should leave it to "Yes" and after few seconds it will popup "Factory Reset..." then after a few more seconds it will go back to the main screen Large Font Mode with 0 CPM and will start counting. But it seems it did the trick. For the 320 CPM Piece, it seems a little high but not too high. As long as you properly store it, it shouldnt be a worry.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  10:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would store it in a metal box like a sugar box, it shouldn't come out much, you can check it with your counter. and store it in a suitable place.
like said EmfDev 320 CPM is fun and not very dangerous.

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple

Edited by - Damien68 on 02/04/2021 11:05:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000