Surprise radiation detected
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sonicmixmaster

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2018 :  15:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So after working out many quirks with my 600+ model I felt confident to test it out "in the field" at work starting this week on Wednesday. My work week starts Wednesday and ends Sunday so I have been taking the detector with me to work each night and monitoring readings while having the detector in my work pants side pocket. Although I do not want to say where I work at this time I did visit my friends for lunch after work today and was very surprised when my detector went nuts!!!

Take a look at the image below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4p4l0ih4qifzjyx/20180823_151308.jpg?dl=0

It turns out that the tiles in my friends bathroom are radioactive. I was getting beeps standing in the bathroom by the sink washing my hands before I eat. The bathroom is covered with radioactive tiles on all walls but ceiling and floor did not show any high readings. The detector went off when it was about 2 feet from the ceramic/radioactive tile wall. What do you guys think?

Edited by - Sonicmixmaster on 10/02/2019 17:53:25
Reply #1

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2018 :  22:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1599CPM is quite a nice clip! What name, brand and origin are the tiles, and where can I buy them for my tests? ;-)

This seems to be a lot and I have a hard time believing that such stuff is sold. I would verify that the counter is giving reasonable values when tested against some more familiar source. I recommend using KCl. Get at least a pound of it, and bring it as close to the Geiger tube as possible. Should give you near 150'CPM. Explained in Potty Training here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/GeigerLog-Potty%20Training%20for%20Your%20Geiger%20Counter-v1.0.pdf/download

Some further tests: Put some beta absorbers between tiles and counter to see if this is mostly beta or mostly gamma radiation. Beta absorbers like e.g. >3mm glass or aluminum, >2mm steel or copper, >100 sheets of copy paper

Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

Sonicmixmaster

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2018 :  06:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tiles been in the house for 40-50 years as I was told by my friends. Will test the materials you said in the future and post back. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

Searinox

Romania
48 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  01:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's quite the uranium/thorium content there!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

Damien68

France
777 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2019 :  22:45:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
now, before going to piss at friends, it's better to be equipping with his dosimeter. :)
are your tiles for sale? :-)

Mastery is acquired by studying, with it everything becomes simple

Edited by - Damien68 on 10/06/2019 03:00:10
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

PKIDelirium

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  12:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I seeing a reddish tint on the tiles, or is that the photo? Might be some uranium oxide in there, like old Fiestaware.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

Sonicmixmaster

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  16:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The color you see is true color. I am not sure if it has the uranium oxide. In the near future I will go to another friend of mine and test their granite counter top and see what I get.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

PKIDelirium

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2019 :  11:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm betting that the reddish hue is from uranium oxide. Obviously not as high a reading as you'd get from old red pottery and ceramics that used it, but enough register.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 7.05 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000