USB/COM Port future request
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

russg

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2024 :  22:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We’re using the 390 in a remote situation and only interact with it via the COM port. That works great… until it doesn’t… which happens with any minor issue (like one character off on a command or including a CRLF at the end of a command. Currently, the system simply locks up and requires a hard reboot to recover. Not only does this make for a frail system, but it also makes it impossible to recover from (reboot required) remotely without adding hardware & cabling.

What I propose is a simple error handler which responds with a simple ‘ERROR’ message. That would allow a remote REBOOT, if the device required resetting. No classification or failure mode information required. Just a TRY… CATCH.

I realize the usb port was designed as a development only tool, but adding a couple of lines of code to implement a generic error handler would enable it to robustly perform in the remote/automated segments of the industry. At the current price point, that simple change could make it a powerhouse product of its own.

Note that this goes for all devices… kudos for using the same interface/code base for all of your products! That means this one change could fix all products (tri-field/geiger counters/air quality) that use it.

We also use the C500 geiger counters and suffer the same issues. We’re looking at trying the line of environmental sensors, but they suffer the same issue.

So, yes, this is a cry for help, but it’s one with, potentially, a chunk of additional revenue attached. I suspect there are more people doing this (or trying than your realize.

p.s. I *LOVE* your products!
Thanks for listening!
-russg
Reply #1

russg

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2024 :  04:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adding to my first request:
Please also end all messages FROM 390 with a CRLF as an end of message marker.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

EmfDev

2156 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2024 :  11:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi russg, are you not able to send any more commands when the system has failed? Like >
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

russg

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2024 :  18:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am unable to send any more commands.

The ‘>’ has no effect - still no response.

thanks,
russ
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

russg

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2024 :  19:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This gets a bit more frustrating if you are using a simple terminal emulator to talk to the unit. I almost always hit the RETURN key at the end of a command, and this locks up the unit, requiring a physical disconnect and power cycle to restart the functionality.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

EmfDev

2156 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2024 :  12:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry it seems the formatting was wrong. I mean to say REBOOT command.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

russg

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2024 :  16:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't tried the 500 yet, but the REBOOT command on the 390 works! This would be worth adding to the GQ-RFC1701 document. I've spent a bunch of time on this, as have others.

I'm not sure how it parses the 'reboot' command, but none of the other commands, but that's ok.

I'll update once I test the 500, but for now, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

russg

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2024 :  18:13:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BAD news... the REBOOT command does NOT work with the C500.

So I guess this becomes a future enhancement?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000