500+ Updated Manual?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

UnstableIsotope

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2023 :  15:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
while familiarizing myself with my new GMC-500+ I have noted that the manual seems quite out of date in a number of areas.

For instance, the section for the "User Option" menu is missing many options that are in the 2.50 firmware. There is no mention of things like Alarm Volume (obvious), Medium and High Thresholds, Fast Estimate Time, etc.

Even the Volume Setting needs a bit of description. It's not clear if it effects Alarm and/or Click volume. On my unit it does not seem to change the click volume at all which is counter-intuitive.

I'd like to know what the "Dynamic" estimate algorithm works. I'm assuming it attempts to maintain accuracy in low-level readings like background by stretching out the averaging window and then reducing the window time to increase response time in high-level situations. I could be totally wrong about that.

I've been an engineer for a long time and I know how tech-pubs can get overloaded rewriting manuals to support new firmware changes, but this really deserves an update.

Edited by - UnstableIsotope on 12/05/2023 17:38:18
Reply #1

EmfDev

2157 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2023 :  16:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi UnstableIsotipe, thank you for your feedback. We will let our development team know about the manual.

As for the the alarm volume is for the beep sound when the alarm is triggered.

You are mostly right on the Dynamic estimate. If it detects a significant change in radiation, it reacts by reducing the window. The window increases as long as the incoming radiation readings are stable.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

UnstableIsotope

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2023 :  17:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes sense. That's a nice feature.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

UnstableIsotope

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2023 :  06:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a good example of problems with the manual.

From page 35.

"The GMC-500 will operate normally when a non-rechargeable battery is installed. Select the battery type to none rechargeable battery from the unit menu."

I do not believe any such option exists and I do not know of any 18650 form-factor battery that is not rechargeable.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.1 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000