Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

J

Ireland
2 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2022 :  14:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shameless bump

New guy, sending greetings to the wise.

Couple of questions, if anyone can clarify ?

New to GM/Geiger Counter technology (and to the brain bending physics behind their use).

Awaiting a 300s (“entry level” ?) unit, bought to inform my family of “fallout” from potential use of the unmentionable weaponary in the current UA/RF conflict.
(Ireland has no nuclear energy, although they do in the UK a few hundred miles away).

Q1: Should I protect the unit/sensor from (household) dust if affixed semi-permanently to an interior wall ? (The unit detects X-ray, Gamma and Beta, so should it be placed in a clear plastic bag before wall mounting ?)

Q2: For detection of fallout in the form of longer half-life Beta particles (?), which theoretically could settle on a house roof and be a risk to occupants inside on ground floors - Will the unit detect higher CPMs ? (Allowing decisions re shielding / internal “sanctuary”) ?

Q3: Can the 300s unit be left on for extended periods (eg a week or two) if plugged into a dc power source, and notify of increased CPMs ?

Q4: Are GM units susceptible to EMP at >100 mile radius, and should the unit be shielded until use (think improvised faraday cage), to ensure functionality following use of a weapon within 100 miles ?

Thanks for anyone’s thoughts and experience.

J

“There’s nothing to fear, but fear itself” ….apart from ionising radiation in some circumstances.

Edited by - J on 11/08/2022 15:02:33
Reply #1

EmfDev

2132 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2022 :  16:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi J,

1. It is ok to put the device on a transparent plastic bag to keep it clean. But the plastic bag may absorb very little radiation instead of the tube.

2. If there is enough radiation higher than background in the area where the GMC-300 is mounted, then it should be able to detect the radiation.

3. Yes. It works even if continually plugged for weeks.

4. Not tested yet but I would think it should be ok.

Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2022 :  01:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Geiger counters the same rules apply as for any other electronic device, like a Smartphone.

While dry dust per se is not a problem, this is quite different with moist dust. The counter is even less protected than a Smartphone, as its slits allow direct access of whatever the dust is to its inside.

Another complication arises when the dust is from any salt, as salts are more or less hygroscopic, and form a salt solution. A salt solution in contact with electronics likely results in severe corrosion.

An additional problem specific for a Geiger counter comes up when the dust is radioactive, because it may stick to the tube, and then you measure increased counts, falsifying your data.

Such dust can be of benign origin, like garden fertilizer or cacao powder from your kitchen.

When you start playing with your counter, such products may come close to your counter ;-). I suggest reading my "Potty Training" (https://sourceforge.net/projects/geigerlog/files/Articles/)

Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

StevenL

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2023 :  17:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J

Shameless bump

New guy, sending greetings to the wise.

Couple of questions, if anyone can clarify ?

New to GM/Geiger Counter technology (and to the brain bending physics behind their use).

Awaiting a 300s (“entry level” ?) unit, bought to inform my family of “fallout” from potential use of the unmentionable weaponary in the current UA/RF conflict.
(Ireland has no nuclear energy, although they do in the UK a few hundred miles away).

Q1: Should I protect the unit/sensor from (household) dust if affixed semi-permanently to an interior wall ? (The unit detects X-ray, Gamma and Beta, so should it be placed in a clear plastic bag before wall mounting ?)

Q2: For detection of fallout in the form of longer half-life Beta particles (?), which theoretically could settle on a house roof and be a risk to occupants inside on ground floors - Will the unit detect higher CPMs ? (Allowing decisions re shielding / internal “sanctuary”) ?

Q3: Can the 300s unit be left on for extended periods (eg a week or two) if plugged into a dc power source, and notify of increased CPMs ?

Q4: Are GM units susceptible to EMP at >100 mile radius, and should the unit be shielded until use (think improvised faraday cage), to ensure functionality following use of a weapon within 100 miles ?

Thanks for anyone’s thoughts and experience.

J

Hello, I live in Canada, and I bought my 500+ unit for basically the same purpose.

When I am not using it, I keep it in its case (and with its cable) and then inside a faraday cage, in the basement. In the case of an emergency, or a fallout issue, I would bring it out from time to time to check local levels around inside the house, and maybe outside the house. I have gotten baseline background sampling so I know what normal looks like.

I keep it fully charged, and check it from time to time. I also keep a small USB rechargeable battery, good for two full charges of the battery, also in the faraday cage.

I don't want to keep it operating continuously, but check the GQ Geiger map from time to time, to see if there are any anomalies across Europe. If there was a device ever used, it would be big news, and then monitoring any fallout would be the main concern, in the short and long run.

Good luck.

Steven Lightfoot

Steven Lightfoot, Eng.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000