GeigerLog now also supports GQ's EMF Devices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

ullix

Germany
1158 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2024 :  05:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GeigerLog's latest (pre-)release now also supports GQ's EMF devices! This feature was developed with the latest EMF390 device. It should work with older EMF devices as well, but that has so far not been tested.

Both Logging and History are possible (where supported by the device).

This GeigerLog version can be downloaded from here: https://sourceforge.net/p/geigerlog/discussion/devel2/ Always pick the latest version, which currently is pre03.

In the default setting GeigerLog logs the same data, which are saved to History by the EMF device itself. The picture shows a comparisons of EF and EMF data, recorded as either a Log done by GeigerLog, or as History done by the EMF390, then downloaded from this device by GeigerLog.

Differences will necessarily result, as the time bases of GeigerLog and device are not - and cannot be - synchronized. But where differences can be noticed, they are small, and both are equally correct:

The 3rd value used by default is RF. Again, data from Log and History are basically identical (upper row).

However, the data pattern is quite discomforting. The data exhibit numerous spikes which reach up to 5000 (mW/mē). And note, this pattern is the same in the Log as in the History; so it is NOT a communication problem introduced by GeigerLog!

Blowing up the timescale, one sees that these spikes are in the minority. Blowing a spike-free region further up, you see the normal values wiggle around 15. The overall average, including all spikes, is 26. So this further underlines the fact that those big spikes are in the minority, and despite their very big values, they barely influence the overall average!

Further, each spike consists of a single !!! data point only, no exceptions! This makes me wonder, whether those spikes are even real RF values, and not artifacts of the measurement method employed in the EMF390?

Which physical value dawdles around at some low value (like 15) and then jumps up to 5000, and immediately back to 15, and NEVER show a high point for more than a single second?

And is still a meaningful value? I am skeptical about the value of such a measurement! Convince me otherwise.

And at good last, the latest EMF390 keeps using the hallmark of all GQ Geiger counters, namely the lousiest Real-Time-Clock available, which exhibits again the all-too familiar time drift of some 20 sec per day! Bad job. Again!

Reply #1

ullix

Germany
1158 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2024 :  08:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another problem:

On the Save Data menu I select Memory used and get:
Used 10%
Unused 90%

ok. Now I select Erase Saved data, select Yes, then Memory used says: exactly the same? selecting No gives the same answer. In both cases nothing is erased.

Issuing the Erase command from GeigerLog immediately erases the data, Memory Used is now saying 1% / 99%

I repeated this several times, including Memory Mode both on Circular and Stop-at-100%. Every time the same result: works using GeigerLog, does not work using the EMF390 menu.

Is it known that the Erase command does not work from the EMF390 menu?

Edited by - ullix on 07/14/2024 08:33:48
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ullix

Germany
1158 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2024 :  00:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more problem:

The EMF-390 manual and the GQ-RFC1701 document refer to a "Zero Calibration" feature. I also can see this in the configuration memory.

But nowhere in the device menus do I find an entry relating to this. Has it been taken out? If not, where is it?

GeigerLog can set it, but it seems ignored by the EMF-390?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ullix

Germany
1158 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2024 :  00:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@EmfDev: In this thread I had posted on issues, problems, and even bugs with the EMF390 device. I had expected to get some response by you, but nothing after a week. Did you miss it?

It looks to me like the EMF390 is not (yet) a mature device?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

EmfDev

2234 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2024 :  10:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
zero calibration feature has been removed. and for the erase data, did you press the power button for yes? or wait? for the readings, maybe they are real values?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

ullix

Germany
1158 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2024 :  23:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The final implementation of EMF-390 in GeigerLog is now in pre-release pre04, which you find here: https://sourceforge.net/p/geigerlog/discussion/devel2/

I am not convinced the RF data are real, be aware!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

regismayo

France
7 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2024 :  23:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I detect by EMF option, the signal? and i want transform by frequency value. possible ?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

ullix

Germany
1158 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2024 :  00:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

regismayo

France
7 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2024 :  03:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why? i can't get the signal to computer? what soft can do this?
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

ullix

Germany
1158 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2024 :  00:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any external program can get from a device only what the firmware of that device provides.

That seems so trivial that I am wondering whether I completely misunderstood what you are actually asking. So, what precisely is the "signal" which you want to get from the device?

Go to Top of Page
Reply #10

regismayo

France
7 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2024 :  23:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I would like is for the data that records the EMF peaks to be exportable so that I can determine the received frequency and convert it into sound waves.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #11

ullix

Germany
1158 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2024 :  23:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not a realistic expectation.

Looking at the EMF time course (see my top post) there aren't even any "peaks". All I can see is a scatter between 5 and 6 mG.

And looking at the "GQ-RFC1701 GQ EMF Communication Protocol" document, the only EMF related command is <GETEMF>>, which gives you what is in my graph.

This EMF-390 device won't help you for what you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #12

regismayo

France
7 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2024 :  10:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure? But me, at home, I have 0.9mG
and more peak, 10mG and more
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid0S1BEbkcTjqYr2541Kc8QVJ225drqxUJiRFT15yvxwuVfgnLcjbDc74KENdcQ8F4vl&id=61554022351356&rdid=Lkj6ls6RDc39lnFI
Go to Top of Page
Reply #13

ullix

Germany
1158 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2024 :  22:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sure that my data do not show any peaks, and I am sure that there are no other commands documented.

Show that you do have peaks by collecting a time course with your device. If I am not mistaken, then GeigerLog is the only software able to do this currently!

Use it, and show the data.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000