GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 1.Geiger Counter World Map(www.GMCmap.com)
 Newbie questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/02/2019 : 05:15:28
I have a new GMC-320+V5 since yesterday. I charged the battery for several hours. I think have the basics figured out. I set up an account and my unit at gmcmap.
It does work except:
1) The buttons on my unit sometimes JUMP a menu spot or character when setting and making the settings is annoying. It is as if the button switches are not properly de-bounced. I can do the settings but have to be really careful and back up if it skips.
2) My unit began sending my data yesterday and I can see it in the table for my counter under my account but I do not appear on the map. Double checked both my location and the counter location are correct.
3) This morning I notice that my data stops around midnight. Some of my server settings are gibberish characters this morning so I painfully and carefully re-entered my user ID, counter ID and period.
The "website" and "URL" fields showed gibberish this morning so I cleaned them out. What is supposed to be entered in these fields?
Testing... shows on the display when I select test connection for about 10 seconds and then disappears. No indication of test success or failure?
WiFi is working.
Help or suggestions please?
Is my new unit somehow intermittent?
George

33   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
EmfDev Posted - 02/07/2019 : 12:32:26
Ahh alright, sorry for the inconvenience.
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/07/2019 : 12:14:46
As I wrote, it does not respond to the USB port except to stay lit. Viewer does not find it. I tried.
Unit has been shipped back. Looking at your other counters.

quote:
Originally posted by EmfDev

Have you tried sending factory reset using the data viewer?

EmfDev Posted - 02/07/2019 : 10:00:18
Have you tried sending factory reset using the data viewer?
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/07/2019 : 03:45:22
I ran the update which seemed to complete successfully.

However the unit is now brain dead, I cannot get to the menus. The last step was to be a Factory Reset but I cannot now get to any menu.

Without USB, the unit clicks once when any button is pressed and the backlight glows for a second and goes off. With USB, the backlight glows and I hear Geiger clicks but the menu does not appear and the buttons do nothing. With USB, Viewer does not find the unit. If I send it to COM6, it opens but does not find the unit.

I really like GMC-320+V5 but I think this particular one should come back to you.

I have started the process with amazon.ca and will send the unit back today. They only offer a refund, not replacement. If I was to get another, I'd like to have the firmware patch applied already.

I think this has the potential to be a great product!

G

quote:
Originally posted by bigfatdaddy

Will do.
G

quote:

Please write email to support with your unit serial number to check if there is an update. Thanks!

bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/06/2019 : 14:29:55
Will do.
G

quote:

Please write email to support with your unit serial number to check if there is an update. Thanks!

EmfDev Posted - 02/06/2019 : 14:15:26
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/06/2019 : 13:31:00
I switched to 4 minutes and yes that does seem to work.
I have 5.11. I don't see firmware updates on your website?
G

quote:

I see, I think your firmware might be outdated? The 5 mins doesnt work because of data type issues in coding. 5*60seconds > 256 I think that is the case. 4 minutes should work.

EmfDev Posted - 02/06/2019 : 13:11:39
I see, I think your firmware might be outdated? The 5 mins doesnt work because of data type issues in coding. 5*60seconds > 256 I think that is the case. 4 minutes should work.
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/06/2019 : 12:36:50
NOW I see myself on the map!
What is different? My 1 minute updates?
Disconnected USB from computer and moved unit to charging station.
Still getting 1 minute updates at gmcmap. Still on the map!
Changing to 5 minute updates.
No updates after 13 minutes. I am still on the map with last reading.
Re-checked all server settings and tested. Last time I didn't test. Success. After server test each time seems to upload one data point? I have one new one there. Now Wait.
No update after six minutes. Change it back to 1 min and test. Two new data points, 5 seconds apart. Now wait.
Updates seem to now be rolling in 1 minute apart. I am on the map with the last one.
Five minute updates do not work?
I will stop playing with it now to see if it is stable like that.
G

quote:

And you data is still not appearing on the map?

bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/06/2019 : 12:33:44
USB cable still connected, Viewer is not running.
I checked WiFi and Server settings on the unit. There was no gibberish or blank fields, everything seems correct. I Test Connection and I get Testing... then Successful. The unit is now sending data again, this time without Viewer. I see new updates at gmcmap. But only two, then it stops. I redo my checking, change the updates to 1 minute and Test connection successful. I get updates again, now every minute. Six so far. I'll let it run like that.
Thanks for your help. I like your GMC-320+V5 and I want it to work.
G

quote:

Ohh I see. The screen shot shows "Report time:..." which means the data viewer is sending your data online. But I don't know if you also configured the device to send online so they can be sending at the same time. When I said configure the unit to send online using data viewer, I was trying to say that you can set the WiFi and Server parameters on the unit using the Data Viewer under Data Viewer Settings -> Other. But seems like the data viewer is working for now. Make sure there are no interference with the COM6. It can cause wrong data readings.

If you want to not use the data viewer or want to disconnect it. Just configure the device to send online to see if it works. Looks like it worked before for few hours then the server parameters on the unit became garbage(it can be an issue from the unit). After configuring, you can disconnect, then connect to WiFi, and then use test connection. After that it should continually send online. If the server parameters get messed up again, then there is a problem with the unit.

EmfDev Posted - 02/06/2019 : 12:17:11
And you data is still not appearing on the map?
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/06/2019 : 12:04:49
Yes
quote:

Also, have you checked the "Publish Data" in your geiger counter settings on the gmc map?

EmfDev Posted - 02/06/2019 : 12:00:23
Also, have you checked the "Publish Data" in your geiger counter settings on the gmc map?
EmfDev Posted - 02/06/2019 : 11:54:02
Ohh I see. The screen shot shows "Report time:..." which means the data viewer is sending your data online. But I don't know if you also configured the device to send online so they can be sending at the same time. When I said configure the unit to send online using data viewer, I was trying to say that you can set the WiFi and Server parameters on the unit using the Data Viewer under Data Viewer Settings -> Other. But seems like the data viewer is working for now. Make sure there are no interference with the COM6. It can cause wrong data readings.

If you want to not use the data viewer or want to disconnect it. Just configure the device to send online to see if it works. Looks like it worked before for few hours then the server parameters on the unit became garbage(it can be an issue from the unit). After configuring, you can disconnect, then connect to WiFi, and then use test connection. After that it should continually send online. If the server parameters get messed up again, then there is a problem with the unit.
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/06/2019 : 11:32:24
Hello. I don't know if Data Viewer is sending my info or not. You asked me to specifically set up my unit with Data Viewer and that is what I did, without touching the buttons, as I said. And I left it running that way. Now I have been sending data for six hours. I can see my data on your site so certainly something is working correctly? Should I close Data Viewer now to see if sending stops? I have data there and I am not on the map. That was my main reason to get the V5 version.
EmfDev Posted - 02/06/2019 : 11:12:30
But it seems like the server parameters become gibberish after a certain time? That's an issue worse than skipping button clicks. It's hard to say why.
EmfDev Posted - 02/06/2019 : 11:11:27
It should be able to run without the data viewer. You need to set correctly the device's server parameters and make sure it's connected to wifi before test connection.
EmfDev Posted - 02/06/2019 : 11:10:35
When you configure the device to send directly online, you need to do the Test Connection to make sure it's sending online.
EmfDev Posted - 02/06/2019 : 11:08:47
Are you using the data viewer to send data online? Or both?
Seems like there are multiple issues on your device. Please write email to canada support for warranty. Sorry for the inconvenience.
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/06/2019 : 06:50:15
Update: Two hours of data uploaded now at five minute intervals, still not on the map.
Everything GO but I dare not move it, close Viewer or disconnect the USB!
Update2: Over FOUR HOURS of continuous 5 minute interval data upload.
Not yet on the map.
Update3: +Six hours steady uploads, not on map.
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/06/2019 : 05:04:25
Question about large bursts, like this one I just watched roll by. For several seconds, the Viewer records a large burst and the CPM just keeps climbing. I don't hear clicks. Data is still being uploaded so you'll probably see it in the data. Nope - gmcmap recorded 19CPM for the next capture but the NEXT one, 5 minutes later, is 911CPM? I do see these burst in my data periodically.

Image Insert:

106415 bytes
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/06/2019 : 04:46:07
For the last half hour, I removed unit from the USB on the computer and moved it to small USB charger with good WiFi. The values of that half hour are not captured at gmcmap. Now it is plugged back into computer and linked to Viewer, all values checked, and data is flowing now. Can't GMC-320+V5 run through the WiFi without being connected to Viewer?
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/06/2019 : 03:35:32
To clarify, the unit was "going" this morning happily clicking on my desk but data was apparently not flowing via WiFi to the map. Unit had been running all night on its own battery which seems to last through most of a day as I previously tested. As I said, the USB COM6 port needed a few tries to get connected so that I could connect with the PC. I've got about 1/2 hr worth of data online now and I'll watch it...
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/06/2019 : 03:15:43
This morning, I see that recording of my data stopped as soon as I turned off my computer last night.
I restarted now using only Data Viewer which had some trouble connecting the COM6 port this morning. Now it is connected, the input values are all checked with Data Viewer and my data is again appearing at gmcmap.com in the list but not on the actual map. I didn't touch the front panel buttons of the GMC-320+V5 to get it going this morning.
G
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/05/2019 : 17:29:21
Pls ignore last. I got it reset and did all setup thru GMC Data Viewer as you suggested. I see my first counts on the website for my Geiger data. My Publish Data is Yes.
I am not touching it until tomorrow but it is going on battery. USB will be off for the night but WiFi is on.
Thnx
G
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/05/2019 : 16:56:57
I am trying to hit the menu Factory Reset but my unit will only skip from Calibrate to Exit (up or down arrow miss the middle position every time) but I cannot make it land on Factory Reset after 20 tries. It is not usually this bad. This is what I meant by the keyboard be-bounce. I will try again tomorrow. Thank you. G
EmfDev Posted - 02/05/2019 : 15:42:26
Yes let me know if the problem is still there.
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/05/2019 : 15:33:38
Will do. Thank you for replies.
G

quote:

Can you please do a factory reset, then try to enter the fields with the data viewer and make sure everything works.
If the problem happens again, then you might need a replacement. Thanks.

EmfDev Posted - 02/05/2019 : 10:27:52
Can you please do a factory reset, then try to enter the fields with the data viewer and make sure everything works.
If the problem happens again, then you might need a replacement. Thanks.
EmfDev Posted - 02/05/2019 : 09:57:00
Also you can use the Data Viewer to set the Counter ID, SSID/ etc.
EmfDev Posted - 02/05/2019 : 09:55:25
Hi bigfatdaddy, sorry for the inconvenience, but on your profile settings for the GMC map, Did you put "Yes" on the publish data?

As for the failing to send after a few hours, did you check the server userid counter id etc in the geiger counter if they turned to gibberish again?
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/04/2019 : 09:17:50
Update 2:
I see at gmcmap.com that my geiger data was logged from 09:01 until 10:37am and then stops. I did not do anything to make it stop. I did not touch the computer or the unit but was away from my desk.
I hope to hear something from GQ or the vendor soon. Otherwise I will have to start the process to return the unit (amazon.ca from MCUmall Electronics).
bigfatdaddy Posted - 02/04/2019 : 06:15:08
Update: I reset my GMC-320+V5 to Factory.
I re-entered my settings for WiFi and tested OK.
Server Website now shows: www.gmcmap.com
Server URL is now: log2.asp
Test connection again shows for about a minute and then disappears as before with no result displayed.
I opened GMC Data Viewer, found my unit on Com6 and connected. Realtime monitoring data displays.
Under Settings Geiger Counter World Map, I Verify successfully.
Now my data is once again appearing at www.gmcmap.com in my Geiger history.
But I do not show up on the map.
The GMC-320+V5 button de-bouncing sux but I am managing. The buttons sometimes repeat a button click and I have to go back and try again.
Why am I not on the map?
Thank you.
George

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.09 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000