New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tavernier7

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2017 :  12:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Is it allowed to have a Geiger counter in airplane cabine? I'am travelling between Canada and Europe.
Thank you.

Nicolas Tavernier
Reply #1

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2017 :  23:13:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes. No problem at all.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ikerrg

United Kingdom
334 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  00:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this interesting story about traveling with a Geiger counter: https://sites.google.com/site/diygeigercounter/traveling-with-the-geiger
It has to be noted that the Geiger was home made, and hence the suspicions. I suppose that our neat and tidy GMC-XXX devices should be treated like any other electronic device. The only concern that I have is about the following sentence in the story: "The SBM-20 (geiger tube) particularly resembles a detonator. Not much you can do about that." If they can see that in the X-ray scanning inside your hand luggage, maybe it depends on the mood/decision of the security guy on how to proceed.

Could you comment on your experiences when travelling with the Geiger counter in the airplane cabin?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

GBG12

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  16:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years ago I carried a kit type detector with just an LED and a speaker on several flights. The home-made enclosure made it look suspicious. I caught worried looks from a seat-mate once, so I made it a habit to talk about the topic before pulling it out if I thought they might get scared. One time I was in a hurry through arrival security in Japan and got some stern looks about it. Through the language barrier I used mainly hand motions to convey that it can measure x-rays, and to listen for the clicks as it went through. Once demonstrated, the security official called over all nearby inspectors to see it; thankfully they were more interested than suspicious by then, and sent me on my way.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

ullix

Germany
1107 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  22:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a GMC-300 series counter in my hand luggage and used it in the cabin on a long distance flight Germany to Maldives. The results are published as part of GeigerLog.

Nobody cared; but I am also not sure that anyone had seen it either at check in or in the cabin.

Does anyone know what the X-ray picture of a glass-housing M4011 is?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000