New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lencom

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  23:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
Trying to get data viewer ver2.3.4 working. I don't get a new USB port in device manager when I plug it in. The 320 shows as unknown device. I click to update driver and browse to the USB driver on the disk, ch341ser_win folder and then execute USBDRIVERV4.exe. It goes through installation and tells me I successfully pre-installed but it stays as unknown. If I manually try to point it at the ch341ser.inf, I get a error. I can't get past this unknown device thing. Hopefully, I'm just missing something simple but I've been going in circles with this. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks
Reply #1

the_mike

Switzerland
53 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2017 :  15:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try following:
1. right-click the "unkown device" and select "uninstal" (or "delete device")
2. unplug the 320
3. install the USB-driver (important: right-click "run as administrator" - also, check if the drivers in the download-area are newer)
4. plug the 320 back in
...then, it should be recognised and get a COM-Port (check the device-manager which one it assigned to the 320) you can select in the datalogger-software

if it should fail - repeat, but reboot your system between step 2 and 3...
good luck :-)

Edited by - the_mike on 05/03/2017 15:59:49
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

lencom

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  20:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I never specified to run as admin. Will try your steps now and post back the results. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

lencom

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  20:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I uninstalled "unknown device" in device manager, unplugged 320 and then rebooted. Upon reboot I downloaded option 2,USB Driver for V4 GQ Geiger Counter, from the download page. I right clicked and clicked "Run as admin". It went through the install ending with "You have successfully pre-installed device." It prompted me to reboot which I did. Back to device manager and after plugging 320 in it shows as "unknown device" under USB Controllers. I go in to unknown device properties and it says "Windows has stopped device because it has reported problems.(Code 43) Does this mean I got a bad unit? It seems to work fine otherwise, I just can't connect to the data viewer. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

lencom

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2017 :  20:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this means anything but I plugged the 320 in to a different USB port and I got a popup down by the clock that said " Unknown Device: Drivers(or software, forget which) successfully installed." Prompted to reboot which I did. But still shows as unknown device with no new com port listed. It appears Windows is happy with itself but the device is playing hard to get. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

the_mike

Switzerland
53 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2017 :  06:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q:
1. the unknown device disappears when you unplug the 320? (just to make sure it's not an "unknown device" aka "just an unkown device but not the 320"... ya know - windows7 is kinda picky)
2. usb-ports: have you connected the 320 to a port at the motherboard, or have you been using a usb-hub or front-usb? (if hub/front: pls. check a port at the back of the pc)
3. pls. check the mainboard-manufacturer's homepage for an update for the boards chipset-driver; sometimes, windows just needs a little kick in the ...chips... to work properly (if you are using a board with intel-chipset, you can check on the intel-website, too).

(4. ...did you use the supplied usb-cable or another mini-usb-one? (if not: try to use another usb-cable...)

Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

lencom

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2017 :  12:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply again. Yes, unknown device disappears when I unplug the 320. I'm plugging directly into MB port on rear of PC, not a hub, and I have tried 2 cables including the supplied cable. I will now do a driver check and post back. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #7

lencom

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2017 :  13:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if I go to unknown device properties and click update driver and specify system32 folder, it says I'm already using the best drivers. If I point to the USB driver on the 320 disk it says can't find compatible driver for my hardware. Seems odd. ZLM, what say ye? Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #8

lencom

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  17:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, I installed the driver on the wife's laptop and I got the same unknown device routine. I unplugged it and low battery warnings came up on-screen even though I kept it charged. So I left it plugged in and ten minutes later I looked at it to find it was locked up and not counting. I unplugged it, it shut down and I haven't been able to turn it on again. Hope this info saves anyone that finds themselves in a similar situation.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #9

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  18:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you confirm you installed correct USB driver, and more than one computer got same result, then I think you need to get the unit be replaced. Write the email to support@gqelectronicsllc.com with all your order information. All items come with one year factory warranty. With one year factory warranty, the service/replacement is free. but you need to pay return shipping when sending unit back to you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000