Have I been sold a Dud Counter?? - Can't be right
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WilliamEvans

South Africa
6 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  07:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need an expert to help, because if these readings are accurate, we are in trouble here in South Africa.
I am part of BPEarthwatch's Radiation Measurement group. I just imported my GMC-320 Plus.
It started to work fine for a day, counts of 20 - 60 all day. However, when switching it on yesterday morning it did its first CPM count, then made a scratching sound and then the LED light is on fully in green and the screen just shows "GMC-320 (+v4)" which appeared and disappeared, and then reappeared, etc. repeatedly. Only the Off button worked thereafter. I tried running it repeatedly until it managed to stay on for a few more counts and then made the scratch sound and again went into error.
This morning I plugged it into my laptop viewer. It ran a bit longer and then scratched and read some crazy ridiculous reading and went into a red light LED error and stopped providing readings, thereafter, the viewer came up with a Comport Error. There was no further reading. I tried this a few times with the same result. Eventually I did a Factory Reset and tried it again. It seemed back to normal while plugged into my PC, but ran into the same errors within a couple of minutes, and after successive tests, lasting up to 20 minutes max with readings on the computer of up to 957 cpm and on the laptop reader and 4052 cpm showing on the GMC. Whenever this scratch sound takes place, about 20 or so seconds later the GMC freezes into a comport Error and stops CPM reading with a red LED on. I took the battery out because it appeared that the spiking may have been caused by the battery movement, which may have been coincidental, but even when it is kept still, without the battery, running only off the laptop power the spiking still happens. Have I received a dud counter??? I am resetting this counter every time it goes into error. I am very frustrated as there is no one else I know in South Africa part of BPEarthwatch's group I can check with. Could someone please advise me on what is happening email me on multidimensionalthinkers@gmail.com and perhaps we can skype and sort this out. I can't believe that the CPM readings on the viewer and the GMC-320 Plus can be different during the spikes. Please assist asap. Regards William Evans

Image Insert:

534486 bytes

William Evans
Enterprise Data Management Expert

Edited by - WilliamEvans on 04/17/2017 09:39:57
Reply #1

Distelzombie

Germany
202 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  11:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An Expert? Thats ZLM. But he is sometime not online for a month or more. The best you could do is eMail the support or simply return the item.

I can tell you that it doesnt look like a correct reading: 0,0,188,0,242 ... If you are not pulsing an x-Ray tube in the vicinity, this shouldnt be possible. Also 4k CPM is not immediately dangerous. You have to stay there about a year or so ... (statement only valid for cesium137 or similiar)

The absolutely most unlikely scenario is that the unit is malfunctioning because a very high intensity radiation pulse damaged the ROM/RAM/CPU/whatever... (Just to freak you out xD)
You are probably not the only one with some kind of radiation measurement device (sciency outpost thingys that measure everything for science for example) and since there is no alarm of any kind its nothing.

Why am I not sending you an email? Thats GQs job.

GMC-300E+ V4.20 with sbt-11a alpha tube

My statements are "stuff-a-hobbyist-says" and not in any way professional.

Edited by - Distelzombie on 04/17/2017 11:29:51
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  20:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems the tube problem. If the tube is broken and leaking gas, then you will get similar result. You can use your warranty to get the issue be fixed, or send it back for the replacement.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

WilliamEvans

South Africa
6 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  20:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi DistelZombie and ZLM. Thank you for your input. I will see if I can get hold of GQ to replace it. Hopefully, the replacement does not pick up the same results.

William Evans
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

Distelzombie

Germany
202 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  20:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The replacement should be sent by the retailer, not GQ.

GMC-300E+ V4.20 with sbt-11a alpha tube

My statements are "stuff-a-hobbyist-says" and not in any way professional.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

WilliamEvans

South Africa
6 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  22:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks.

Just an update - GQ have sent me a replacement tube, which I fitted as per instructions.
Could anyone advise me why my range of detection is an ACPM of between 1.9 and 3 for a 100 minute test. Did I get a dud Tube from GQ? or is there something else the problem?

William Evans
Go to Top of Page
Reply #6

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  23:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ACPM 1.9 and 3 is lower than normal. What is your CPM reading when the ACPM is this low?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.08 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000