GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 1.Geiger Counter World Map(www.GMCmap.com)
 UV Radiation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drosen9

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  19:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I have been observing that in New York City trees and other plants seem to be 'withering' and dying. If you look at trees that used to have full foliage the leaves are small, bent up cuplike, branches are going bare; I suspect its from UV-B solar radiation and its very widespread.

Does anyone know what nuclear radiation's effect on plants would be like?
Thank you,

Thank you,
david r.
www.cloudofIron.com
Reply #1

esquehill

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  15:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Forest
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

GBG12

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  18:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nuclear radiation can be harmful for sure. UV radiation less so, but it does have an effect. It was studied when the ozone hole was growing, but thankfully some smart scientists worked out the reason and it's not growing so fast now. Here is an article on UVB and plants: www.uv4plants.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/UV-web-opt.pdf

Edited by - GBG12 on 06/19/2017 18:31:41
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

ChrisLX200

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  14:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems curious to me that even with all the reactor disasters in the world over the past few years not one of the detectors displayed on the map shows anything other than perfectly normal background levels - yet we know plenty of nucleotides have been released into the environment. So is it a question of low sensitivity of the detectors? If so, what is the value of these detectors anyway?

GMC-300E-plus
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

GBG12

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  18:41:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think all the recent release events have been small.
Detectors have mostly been deployed after the big releases, and often by government agencies that don't always put transparency first. That is why more and more private detectors are joining real-time map sites. The GM tube detectors made by GQ and others are sensitive enough to detect many events. Real-time sites like Radmon.org and Netc.com, as well as this site, show how some users test their detectors with radioactive sources. I use Uranium glass beads to test mine. For a proof of sensitivity to real events, Safecast.org has a map showing mobile GM detector trails past actual hot sites including Chernobyl, Fukushima and Uranium mines. On that map, even altitude-related increases can be seen.

Edited by - GBG12 on 06/29/2017 18:43:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.11 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000