Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Normal readings for 30 mins, then off the chart..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tcp100

2 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  10:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I just received my GMC-320+ v5 yesterday. I tried it for about 5-10 minutes at a time around the house, and everything seemed normal - background radiation showing 20-30 CPM.

So today I decided to take it on my commute to work, which happens to go past Rocky Flats in Colorado - a known site with issues. Strangely enough as I drove by there, the readings were actually very low - about 15-20 CPM.

However, about 30 minutes into my commute, right as I reached Golden, CO, the numbers started continuously climbing.. First 60 CPM, then it hit 100. It all started as I got near a Starbucks in Golden, where I ordered a coffee at the drive through..

By the time I got to my office in Evergreen, CO, the GMC-320 was reading 1500 CPM! I honestly thought that Starbucks had handed me a nuclear coffee..

It didn't matter where I went with the GMC-320, it would read insane readings.. inside the car, left on the ground across the parking lot as I walked away from it.

I have it on my desk in my office now, and I left it powered down for 30 minutes. It's now reading fairly normal when first turned on, but then starts climbing after about 5 minutes of being powered on. About 70 CPM after 5 minutes, 100 CPM after 6-7 minutes.. then it starts to climb almost exponentially, hitting 1500 CPM after about 10 minutes of being on.

Is this a defect, or do I need to call the authorities? :) Kinda sorta kidding.
Reply #1

tcp100

2 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  11:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to add, it seems to be related to how long the unit is on.

If I power it off and right back on, it jumps immediately to 200-300 CPM and keeps climbing.

If I leave it off for a while, the climb is much slower.

EDIT: If I blow on the tube through the vents, the count drops immediately and precipitously.. Like from 1400 CPM right down to a normal 30 CPM, within the course of a minute. Then it starts to climb again.

I saw someone mention this in another post, but I'm not sure what it means - the tube overheating? Overall this behavior seems overheat-related to me, and indicates a defect in the tube. Does this sound right?

Edited by - tcp100 on 08/03/2017 11:38:33
Go to Top of Page
Reply #2

ChrisLX200

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  00:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's getting hot then there must be a high resistance, try re-seating the tube in its clips because perhaps they have oxidised a little. Power the device off first - don't touch the clips when it is running! (high voltage, and beware the caps may hold voltage for a long time even after powered off).

GMC-300E-plus
Go to Top of Page
Reply #3

the_mike

Switzerland
52 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  04:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey tcp100

Try to open the (turned off) device, and check if the tube is mounted correctly (there's a + - sign on the tube, it should match the to the plus-pole on the board... (attached a photo of my 320v4; the plus-pole (indicated by a picon) is on the left
(if you have to turn the tube, don't touch it with your fingers, wear some gloves)

If this is correct, i suspect the tube is getting too many volts - this would be a task for the support@gqelectronicsllc.com

Image Insert:

180317 bytes

Edited by - the_mike on 08/04/2017 04:37:49
Go to Top of Page
Reply #4

ZLM

1261 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  22:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The unit seems need a new tube. The tube may be leaking.
You can write an email to support@gqelectronicsllc.com for the warranty.
Go to Top of Page
Reply #5

Distelzombie

Germany
202 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  23:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The high voltage on this device is not harmful. It's a little device with a small battery that runs for month. There is so little amperage that you don't even feel anything.
It's not volts that kill.

GMC-300E+ V4.20 with sbt-11a alpha tube

My statements are "stuff-a-hobbyist-says" and not in any way professional.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.06 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000