Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 Average medical x-ray

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n8xyn Posted - 05/17/2018 : 15:47:52
I just tried the at home generation of x-rays using an old RCA vacuum tube with a wide space between the two electrodes. I ran it for a couple short bursts and sent my gmc-500+ to 2740 cpm before I killed it out of fear. Has anyone here actually measured a standard medical x-ray before? I really don't want to do that again as I was all of 2 or 3 feet from the tube. A couple times I knocked a computer monitor off line that was 10 feet away....
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ullix Posted - 05/23/2018 : 23:02:15
Your 35000V could have produced 35keV X-rays, and the GMC-500 specs say it could detect x-rays from 30keV upwards, so, theoretically, you could have measured x-rays. However:

As shown in this pic (from http://folk.ntnu.no/floban/KJ%20%203055/X%20%20Ray/x-ray%20tube/x-ray%20tube.htm )

the vast majority of x-rays is below this max level, in the vicinity of 10keV. You would not get much of 30keV+ radiation, if anything at all.

Your 2740CPM at the counter would have been 18µSv/h (@0.0065 µSv/h/CPM). Based on US-FDA statements, US TV sets must have been limited to 5µSv/h worst-case (https://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/ResourcesforYouRadiationEmittingProducts/ucm252764.htm ).

I just don't think that your device would have been so much more "efficient" in generating x-rays!

Rather, I believe this was more electrical noise that impacted the counter and other electronic. Next time some primate in your home tries to repeat the experiment, wrap the counter in aluminum foil and ground(!) the foil. I bet you'll get much lower "count".

If you do have an oscilloscope available, look here for how to measure noise or real signals at the counter:
http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4598

n8xyn Posted - 05/23/2018 : 14:57:46
The tube took about 35,000 volts before arching (at which point the monitor went out and I back off). I don't intend to do this again as the voltage could prove fatal and the X-rays aren't safe, but I'm a curious little primate ;-)
EmfDev Posted - 05/23/2018 : 09:53:41
It depends on what kind of x-ray, because the reading can be very different.
wergor Posted - 05/22/2018 : 21:44:08
I did and asked for help on dose estimation a while back (https://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4940 ) but did not yet have time to investigate it any further.
EmfDev Posted - 05/18/2018 : 08:47:34
I just asked my friend he put the GMC-320 in his pocket when he did an x-ray for his upper body.
But he said that there was a shield for his lower body for protection. Then the x-ray generated around 200+ count pulse to the unit.
ullix Posted - 05/17/2018 : 23:43:13
What was the voltage at the tube?

This knocking a computer monitor offline sounds more like electrical interference, which could have impacted the counter as well.

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.05 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000