Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GQ Electronics Forums
 2.GQ Geiger Muller Counter
 GMC-500+ newbie

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BrianG61UK Posted - 10/05/2017 : 13:48:34
I'm here to try and establish whether my new GMC-500+ is broken or if it's just designed and built by lazy sloppy idiots.

The manual I downloaded is useless, referring to other models at numerous points so that I am left not knowing what features the GMC-500+ is supposed to have and what it's not supposed to have.

Firstly can anyone tell me if the GMC-500+ is supposed to have what GQ seem to wrongly call a "gyroscope" so that it knows which way up it is? Mine does not seem to know which way up it is at all and has never ever gone into the vertical display mode that is shown in some photos of GMC-500 or GMC-500+ units.

When I switch the unit on holding it horizontally with the buttons on the left the logo appears upside down but after that everything is up the right way. Also if I connect USB power and switch off a notice showing the battery state displays upside down.

Is this a fault or just a total lack of software testing?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ZLM Posted - 10/08/2017 : 07:24:38
I believe your device is under warranty. Please write to support@gqelectronicsllc.com for the warranty support.

For the gyroscope or accelerometer, the main difference between the two devices is simple: the gyroscope can sense rotation, whereas the other only detects motion.

The GMC-500+ installed gyroscope and accelerometer in one chip. . It can detect both rotation(x,y,z) and motion.
BrianG61UK Posted - 10/06/2017 : 19:10:37
Okay. The local seller I bought the GMC-500+ from seems to know quite a bit about them and it seems mine is faulty -- the "gyroscope" should work.

Also, it'd have been nice if the GMC-500+ manual didn't say "GMC-320 has motion detection feature" leaving me highly confused about whether the 500+ has this feature.
BrianG61UK Posted - 10/06/2017 : 02:09:34
So nobody is going to answer my question about whether the GMC-500+ should have a working "gyroscope"??
BrianG61UK Posted - 10/05/2017 : 16:59:28
quote:
Originally posted by GBG12

Wow, Brian those are strong words. Most us us are happy with our GQ detectors, and those that have had problems with new units typically get good warranty service. This behavior is new as far as I recall on this forum. Every new failure mode is a chance to improve the design or process. Respect is usually the best policy. Here is a modern gyroscope: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/gyroscope

So it is a gyroscope and can't tell which way up it is?
I think it's an accelerometer, so it can tell which way up it is as well as sense motion like a gyroscope.
GBG12 Posted - 10/05/2017 : 16:26:22
Wow, Brian those are strong words. Most us us are happy with our GQ detectors, and those that have had problems with new units typically get good warranty service. This behavior is new as far as I recall on this forum. Every new failure mode is a chance to improve the design or process. Respect is usually the best policy. Here is a modern gyroscope: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/gyroscope
BrianG61UK Posted - 10/05/2017 : 15:35:35
Done all that before.
I think I'm just getting random numbers instead of "gyroscope" output like the part wasn't fitted but the software thinks it is.

But even if I disable it I still get it starting up upside down and then changing to the right way up.

Are GQ really this incompetent?
ZLM Posted - 10/05/2017 : 14:54:43
Check your device setting. The feature may be turned off accidentally.
Do a factory reset should fix the problem in this case.

Main menu -> Init Setup -> Factory Reset

GQ Electronics Technical Support Forum © Copyright since 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.05 sec. Snitz's Forums 2000